Historic Calvary Missionary Baptist Church started in 1829 when freed Blacks and slaves of the First Baptist Church.
(Walnut Street) founded Louisville's First all Black Baptist Church named First African Baptist Church. In 1841, First African Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. W.W. Taylor. In 1849, a group of the York Street congregation separated and organized the Fifth Street Baptist Church. The remainder of the original congregation stayed at the Fifth and York location, and, in 1883, reorganized to become Calvary Missionary Baptist Church. Calvary moved to its present location at 28th and Woodland in 1958.